Friday, April 10, 2009

Where do I begin...

This morning while I was cuddling my youngest on the bed, savouring the minutes before I have to get up to start my day, I pondered on events that took place yesterday. I was in court in the morning, representing 3 juveniles and ended up representing 2 more juveniles with an adult. I had interviewed them weeks ago, made a representation to the DPP's office, hoping for the best for them. Yesterday, I went through again , the whole motion of interviewing/questioning , sharing my opinion and advising the new clients . My emotions pun bercampur-campur. You looked at them, thinking where have all the innocence gone to, you look at the parents and start to wonder when did they realised that they have lost control over them....at the back of mind I am trying my best to help the kids, but at the same time, the evidence and the facts are not in their favour...where do you begin as a parent, as a professional, as a fellow human being...to understand and and at the same time be grateful of your kids but yet frightened of the future.

As a mother I sympathise the parents and feel very humbled when the mothers bersalam with me, talking to me not only as a lawyer for the kids but as a mother to mother....pressing my hands with the hope that I can help their kids and and make a difference in their life....and at times leaves me with heavy burden to carry.

Yesterday, when the charges were being read again....I looked at them....they were just kids. Sedih. The charges against them are quite heavy, they would be looking at a maximum 20 years of imprisonment for one of the charges if they are adults, but being juvenile...the order not sentence would be under the Child Act.

I know its difficult to raise children, arwah pak was firm and yet compassionate and affectionate. I tak pernah kena pukul dengan pak, mak ada jugak cubit kat peha...but that was nothing. They raised 9 children well. I may not have toys berbakul-bakul macam my kids, pakai baju hand downs from my sisters, mak jahit baju cotton masa kecik-kecik, we had a simple life, mak was a house wife so she was always at home, makan apa aje yang mak masak, bukan trips to McD or KFC, tak tengok movies Disney ke, tak keluar every weekends, we visited relatives, we enjoyed the strong family values that they instilled in us, life was quite simple and happy then, just study hard so that we do not disappoint them....I grew up with sisters that I looked up to and brothers that I could depend on. I just hope that I can be become a good parents like them....kalau dapat sebahagian pun dah alhamdullilah. Syukur. Amin

No comments: